Pretty much every computer these days comes with a hard disk which is a storage device for all your programs and files. Hard disk drives have a limited amount of space and once they get low on space or run out the following can happen: The system might even crash. Also the computer might start behaving in an abnormal manner read this.
The computer also starts to perform slower than it was due to lack of enough space for temporary files. You may not be able to install anymore programs.
As with any major system changes it’s a good idea to backup your system beforehand, so if you plan on deleting files and programs then I recommend backing up your computer first.
If you run low on disk space you can free up some disk space by doing the following for free:
- Open the windows uninstaller and look for any programs you don’t need and remove them.
- Empty out your recycle bin
- Delete your computer’s temporary files
- Delete your internet cache (temporary internet files)
- Delete any unnecessary files
- If you have a portable storage device or can burn onto a CD, then think about moving some of your personal files like movies, music, etc onto a portable storage medium and then delete from the computer to free up some space.
- Run disk cleanup tool which comes pre-installed on windows operating systems.
This tool will step you through deleting the following files: temporary internet files, recycle bin files, windows temporary files, optional windows components, and other odds and ends.
If performing any of the above tasks is difficult you can search the topic in Google and generally find more detailed steps on performing the above, furthermore if the above tips on freeing up space are daunting or to hard then keep in mind you can also find software that can free up space with just a few clicks.